Designlet: Site Recovery Manager for Azure VMware Solution
Azure VMware Solution (AVS) combines VMware compute, networking, and storage running on top of dedicated bare-metal hosts in Microsoft Azure. VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) for Azure VMware Solution is an add-on that customers can purchase to protect their virtual machines in case of disaster. SRM for AVS allows customers to automate and orchestrate the failover and failback of virtual machines between an on-premises environment and AVS, or between two AVS sites.
Summary and Considerations
Site Recovery Manager protects organizations from disaster by allowing customers to replicate virtual machines, create dynamic recovery plans, perform non-disruptive failover tests, and recover virtual machines at a secondary site.
The following instructions are for use with an on-premises to AVS deployment scenario.
Deploy Site Recovery Manager
- Follow the documentation to deploy and on-premises.
- In your Azure VMware Solution private cloud, under Manage, select Add-ons > Disaster recovery
- From the Disaster Recovery Solution drop-down, select VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) – vSphere Replication
- Provide the license key, select agree with terms and conditions, and then select Install
- You can use a production license key or leave this field blank to use evaluation mode. The evaluation mode is valid for 60 days. Once a production license is obtained, you’ll be able to update the license key in the AVS portal.
Once the deployment of the SRM appliance is complete, you can deploy the vSphere Replication appliance(s).
Deploy vSphere Replication
- From the Replication using drop-down, on the Disaster recovery tab, select vSphere Replication
- Move the vSphere server slider to indicate the number of replication servers you want based on the number of VMs to be protected, then select Install
Configure Site Pairing
- In the on-premises vSphere Web Client, click Site Recovery > Open Site Recovery
- Click the New Site Pair button
- Select the first site from the list. Enter the address of the Platform Services Controller for the Site Recovery Manager Server in AVS, use the
email@example.com when prompted, and click Next
- Select the vCenter Server and the services you want to pair and click Next
- On the Ready to complete page, review the pairing settings, and click Finish
Authors and Contributors
- , Principal Cloud Solutions Architect, Cloud Infrastructure Business Group, VMware
- Steve Pantol, Senior Technical Marketing Architect, Cloud Infrastructure Business Group, VMware